Machine Learning, Data Science, and Predictive Analytics techniques are in strong demand. That’s why since its launch, IBM Watson Studio has proven to be very popular with academia. Thousands of students and faculty have been drawn to Watson Studio for its powerful open source and code-free data analysis tools. Now, this all-in-one platform for data science is free to students and faculty with unlimited use with Watson Studio Desktop.
Unlimited Desktop for academia
As a reminder, Watson Studio Desktop comes in 3 forms:
- Watson Studio Cloud — the freemium all-cloud offering
- Watson Studio Local — enterprise behind-the-firewall use
- Watson Studio Desktop — a fast and easy desktop install with
Watson Studio Desktop, with unlimited compute, is now available for free to students and faculty for teaching and learning purposes via a 1 year subscription. Because this is a subscription, new features and functionality will be added every few weeks through in-product updates. In addition, a student or faculty member can re-register after 1 year as long as they remain a student or faculty member.
Powerful features for all student types
Watson Studio Desktop brings these techniques to your Windows or Mac machine so everyone in academia -both programmers and non-programmers- can unlock insights from any dataset.
- Data mining students can leverage the integrated SPSS Modeler functionality to drag-and-drop their way to machine-learning, model building, and data exploration.
- Data science students comfortable with coding can use Watson Studio Desktop to exercise their open-source R and Python skills with Jupyter Notebooks.
- All students can use the integrated SPSS Modeler and Data
Shaper to explore, prepare, and chart data in just a few clicks.
All these features will be coming to IBM Watson Studio Desktop, and academics will be able to use them in an unlimited capacity for teaching and learning purposes.
Here’s how to sign up:
- First, visit our academic partner to start. Students click here and faculty click here.
- Then, you’ll get an email after you’ve been verified as a student or faculty. Click the link in that email to register for the service.
- Lastly, just download, install, and log in to the product.
Visit our Stack Overflow page for Watson Studio if you have any questions.
An internship opportunity in IBM Egypt is available for quality assurance of IBM Skills Academy materials on Big Data.
- Average proficiency in English
- Must be registered in DigitalNationAfrica.com, and completed the following courses:
- Basic knowledge of Linux. Here are some helping resources:
- Someone who did NOT attend the Big Data Developer/Engineer training as part of the IBM Skills Academy program
- The applicant must be a university graduate and NOT working. University students are NOT allowed.
What you will learn
- Applicant can be from anywhere in Egypt, because she/she does not have to come to IBM every day.
- Your CV must contain a link to your Acclaim profile.
Send your CV to email@example.com, and write the title of this blog post in the email subject.
Update [18/11/2018]: Application is closed; we have received enough CVs.
Courses and sessions that I can offer
- Introduction to Computer (Basic)
- Microsoft Office (Intermediate)
- C# Programming (Intermediate)
- VB Programming (Intermediate)
- IBM Cognos Analytics Report Authoring (Intermediate) – as part of IBM programs
- IBM Cognos Analytics Modeling (Advanced) – as part of IBM programs
- IBM Analytics
- Artificial Intelligence & IBM Watson
- Netiquette (Internet etiquette) & Cybersecurity
- Enterprise Design Thinking (preparing)
There is an ooportunity for a team of IBM Skills Academy graduates to work (as freelancers) on a project.
- Must be Egyptian, from anywhere in Egypt
- Must be a graduate of the IBM Skills Academy program
- Must have taken the Design Thinking course (you can take it now before application!)
- It is prefereed to be a university graduate, not a student
- It is prefereed not be in a full time job
- Required technical skills , and the tools that will be used will be determined by the team itself.
- I don’t have to reply to applications, I share them with other team members
- Please read this post before sending your CV: Writing your CV
See this quick introduction about IBM Open Badge Program.
You can earn IBM open badges from the following sites:
Please follow the below steps to prepare for the Business Intelligence Analyst training:
- Register in the DigitalNationAfrica.com web site. Make sure to set Egypt as your country.
- Take the course Introduction to Data Science and Analytics (30 minutes)
- Take one of the following courses:
- SQL and Relational Databases 101 (6 hours)
- Web Development (3 hours)
- HTML & CSS (3 hours)
- After you are enrolled in the Business Intelligence Analyst career path on IBM Skills Academy, take Module I and Module II (please use Firefox).